Hey everyone! Hope you are having a fun day. Today I want to share with you my tips on how to stop nail polish from chipping. Some nail polishes are not so good in quality and chips right away. But we can’t blame nail polish always for chipping and not staying put. Exercising some simple habits can prevent nail polish from chipping and add extra days to your manicure.
- Avoid moisturizing nails prior to polish application. Adding cuticle oil is a good habit but doing so before applying nail polish is not. Oil and slippery nail beds will make your polish chip early. But do not forget to apply cuticle oil after your manicure!
- Dehydrate your nails before applying nail polish. Even if we do not moisturize nails prior to polish application, nails have natural oil to them. Wipe your nails with rubbing alcohol to remove excess oil. This will also help to clean the nail surface from dust particles which sometimes create bubbles while applying polish.
I often notice people use nail polish remover to dehydrate nails and I feel that’s something not good for nail health. Polish remover will make your nails extra dry and brittle as it is clearly made for removing nail polish(not to use as a dehydrator). Rubbing Alcohol is my favorite for this purpose. You get great quantity for the money and it has multiple uses. There are Nail Dehydrating Products available in market too, if you wish to try.
- Adding a layer of good base coat before applying your favorite nail polish is very important.In simple words, It acts like a glue that makes your polish stick better and longer on your nails. You can really prevent chipping by adding base coat application to your manicure schedule!
- We often tend to forget one important step in our manicure, sealing the free edge. Simply add a layer over the edge of your nails as a final step of your manicure. I would suggest to do it with your colored polish and top coat too! It will surely prevent chipping and will add more days to your manicure.
- Wait for one layer to dry before adding one more to it and save your manicure from chipping! Ask me, how impatient I get while applying polish! I’m guilty of layering my polish while the last coat is still wet and I learned from my mistakes. Doing so, I noticed patches as the previous layer gets dragged by the brush and results in uneven application. Polish concentration gets thick at places and very thin on other parts of the nail. The thicker part tends to chip easily.
- Don’t over-do the layering. Rarely we see nail polishes that look fully opaque in one coat. We need to apply multiple coats to get the true color! Having said that, one should not over-do the layering. I recommend maximum three layers of any polish. Any more layer will make it thicker and it will chip soon.
- Wear Top Coat over your nail polish. Top Coats seals your manicure with a clear layer. This way your polish stays strong underneath the clear coat and prevents chipping and wear off. Eventually every polish starts to wear off but having a top coat certainly makes the manicure last longer.
- Wear gloves while doing house chores, mostly while doing dishes! Water can get in between nail bed and polish, as a result, it weakens the polish and make it chip easily!
Hope you find these tips helpful. If you have any tips on how to prevent nail polish chipping, please share in the comments below. I would be happy to hear from you 🙂 Thank you for stopping by!